Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Oatmeal Strawberry Cake with a Lemon Glaze



I guess I'm on a fruity dessert kick, which is fine by me. I had left over lemons and a bunch of plump, juicy strawberries, so I created a dessert. And like most desserts I create, I combine a bunch of my favorite ingredients and try to get them to work together, enhance each other. Sometimes it's a complete disaster. My mom would always be nervous when her middle school aged daughter was 'creating' something in the kitchen. but I think I've reached an age where I understand what works a little better. 






Start by pureeing strawberries with a little whole milk.




Set aside the strawberries and cream. Try not to drink, although it would make a perfect smoothie.




Ok. Cream butter and sugar. Add egg, vanilla, yogurt, vanilla, and whole milk. In a separate bowl, combine flour, oats, baking powder and salt. Slowly stir flour mixture to  liquid mixture. Stir in sliced strawberries, not pureed.






Spread onto a greased 13x9x2 in baking pan.





Spoon strawberry puree evenly over the top.




Sprinkle with some sugar. I used some raw cane sugar.
Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.




While the cake is baking, slice some lemons for the lemon glaze. 






 Whisk 3 T fresh lemon juice with 1 cup powdered sugar. I like my glaze super lemony so the ratio will depend on your taste buds.




Once the cake has cooled, pour lemon glaze over the top and sides. Don't skimp. The more glaze, the moister the cake, the happier the guests!!




For more of a lemony kick, sprinkle the whole cake with some freshly grated lemon zest.


Recipe

1 1/2 flour
1 cup oats
1 1/2 t baking powder
1/2 t salt

1/2 cup butter
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1/2 c yogurt
1.2 t vanilla
1/2 cup milk
1 cup sliced strawberries
3/2 c. strawberry puree
Sugar for sprinkling

Lemon glaze

3 T freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 cup powdered sugar.
lemon zest

Directions

1- In a medium bowl, combine flour, oats, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.

2- With an electronic mixer, cream butter and sugar. Add eggs vanilla, and milk. 

3- Stir in flour mixture and sliced strawberries until moistened. 

4- Spread onto a greased 13x9x2 baking pan.
Spoon the strawberry puree over batter.
Sprinkle with sugar.
Bake at 350 for 30 min.

5- Once the cake is cooled, spoon the lemon glaze over the top and sides. Sprinkle cake with lemon zest.

1 comment:

  1. I can't believe you made that up! It sounds so delicious and like a perfect spring-into-summer dessert:)

    ReplyDelete